Friday, March 4, 2011

Almost There...

Most of the knitting is now completed for Michele's Turtle Neck.  I had to frog and re-knit one of the sleeves completely.  I have to admit, with a 50 stitch cable pattern, that was tough to take -- but I persevered.  It is now perfect -- so much so that I even ended on the exact same row as the other sleeve.  It's never worked out that way for me before.  Seaming (not my favorite - why do most of us dislike it so?) and knitting the neck which should not take too long.  Michele, who's second great niece Olivia was born this week, is so excited.  I hope there's a cold day left for her to wear it before packing it away for next year.  I will post a picture when it is complete -- hopefully with her wearing it.

I like to seam when I can do the whole thing at once, so I'm waiting until the weekend.  In the meantime, I knitted my first toy.  This one is from Knit Simple's Holiday 2010 issue:


I love this little guy.  He came out a little wonky, but he is the perfect size for a small toddler or baby.  He is just the perfect amount of squishable.  I gave him to my friend's little boy Dylan.  I have a few more to knit for my nieces and new nephew too.  I tried to do the eyes in duplicate stitch, but just couldn't get it to work.  Since I've never done it before, I watched a few videos online, but it just wasn't working.  After I finished it, I talked to the Master (my Mom) and she talked me through it, so I will try it on the next one.

My next project is a cardi for my niece Kate who is turning 12 in a few weeks.  I hope to have it done by her birthday, but we'll see.  I wanted to do something colorful, but after discussing it with my sister-in-law, Kate is more of a solid color gal when it comes to her clothing, so the color work project I've been anxious to get into will just have to wait until after that.

I have discovered these Signature DP Needles and I am a goner.  WOW-- so sleek, so light, so fast!  I received them on Wednesday and it was love at first knit & purl.  Thursday I ordered circulars --- all of them.  I know, I know -- I felt a little guilty about the expense, but I rationalized away.  This is my only hobby.  I haven't bought any yarn in several months that I didn't need for a specific project.  These needles are so well made, they should last forever.  And I'll just sell all my other needles on Ebay or Etsy (yeah, right!).  All I can say is, the budget is closed for any knitting needles for quite some time!

No comments:

Post a Comment